Now, before we get too far into this, I don't mean that being pregnant makes me the moral equal of a Hobbit. No Frodo am I. No Samwise. Yet I cannot ignore some similarities these days as I approach my 35th week of this 5th pregnancy. I was having a laugh about it on Twitter, but the more I think about it, the more true it seemed! For my own amusement and hopefully your own, here's a list of ways I am currently becoming like a Hobbit:
- My feet are getting bigger and flatter
- I seem to be getting shorter (okay, that's a stoop from heavy belly)
- I am hairier than I ought to be
- I am plump and have flowing hair that is getting curlier by the day
- I have desire to remain amongst other Hobbits
- I feel the need to have a fully stocked pantry at all times
- Many meals, in particular 2nd breakfast and elevensies (although mine are all small)
- Desire to lead a restful life (although that is foiled daily)
- Desire to avoid adventure (and by that I mean I literally don't want to leave the Shire, err... my house)
- My ring has become too great of a burden for my finger. For safety I have transferred it to a chain on my neck.
- A small, sparsely-haired and frequently grimy person is constantly trying to steal my ring for reasons I cannot understand, while squealing "miiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeee"
- Although I don't really crave adventure, I am on a long one with a decidedly difficult end in sight. I set out knowing the reward would be great.
- The longer I am on my journey, the less appetite I have and the more tired I become, and yet I forge on.
- On my journey, I have a faithful companion who would gladly pick me up and carry me on the last stretch, although the final act must be done by me
Alright Tolkien fans! Am I missing anything?