Saturday 24 December 2022

Apple Crisp

This recipe is a long-standing favourite. When my son asked to make it for us for Christmas, I dug around and couldn't find whatever recipe I had been using. That is mostly because I had not been using a recipe, but filling the dish and spicing free hand. I've been working (slowly) on making a proper recipe book for my extended family using several generations of recipes left as a legacy by my Aunt Freda. When I went through my files, this recipe popped out as the closest to what I'd been doing. I've adjusted the recipe with some basic spicing for the apples, but honestly, spice as you like! The crumble topping is directly from her recipe. No pictures yet as my son will be making it later.

Grease a 9x13 pan. Peel and slice preferred apples to generously fill.

 

Cover sliced apples with the following, stirring to coat.

 

1 ½ tsp cinnamon

½ tsp nutmeg

¼ cup of sugar

½ tsp salt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

 

Topping: 

¾ cup of brown sugar 

¾ cup of rolled oats 

¾ cup of flour 

½ cup of margarine 

 

Work topping into a crumb with a fork and spread over apples. Bake 350ºF for about 45 mins or until golden brown. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment